Recently, Angela Henderson, an Australian blogger, had a terrifying experience as a parent when her child got a grape lodged in their throat. Read story here:
This story reminded me of something that happened to one of the moms in our classroom. She was a nurse with twin daughters. She always cut her children’s fruit for school, but at home, she sometimes let the girls eat their fruit whole. One weekend, they asked mom for a snack while they colored in the dinning room. She gave them some crackers and grapes. The girls brought them into the other room and ate while they colored. A short time later, one of the girls returned to the kitchen where her mother was cleaning and said, “Mommy, sissy won’t answer me. She’s not speaking to me, what did I do? Why is she mad at me?” The mother was just as confused as her daughter, she knew she hadn’t heard any arguing while they were coloring, so she went to go see what was wrong.
As soon as the young mother walked into the room, she saw her daughter’s purple tinged skin and witnessed her frantically grabbing at her throat. She knew right away her daughter was choking on a grape. She quickly grabbed her and attempted to give her daughter the Heimlich Maneuver to try to dislodge the grape, so she could breath. Her first attempt failed.
As the mother retold the story, she said that as she attempted to do the Heimlich Maneuver again, she also tried to call 911 for help. But in her panicked state she misdialed the number. On her next attempt she was connected and the needed help was on its way. She continued trying to help her little girl and finally was able to get the grape out. Soon after, the ambulance arrived and the child was given oxygen and transported to the hospital. Mom said even though she was a nurse, she was also a scared parent. She made mistakes like misdialing the phone; but also knew it was better to do something rather than nothing at all.
So, whenever she had the chance she told other parents her terrifying tale and stressed the importance of learning CPR and First Aid. You never know when you may be in an emergency situation with your child!
As teachers, we are required to be certified in First Aid and CPR. Before enrolling your child in a daycare, ask if the staff are first aid certified! For added safety we also ask the parents to cut their children’s food into smaller pieces.
But as the mother in our classroom pleaded with all the other parents to do, please consider taking a First Aid class. It’s something family members and friends who care for your child should do too!